Friday 29 June 2018

Improvquilting - a phrase most suited to me!

I have been following the most amazingly inspiring hashtag on Instagram recently, so I wanted to explore it myself and show you a few images that have inspired me recently, as it is just SO full of inspiration and fantastic colours and patterns.

#Improvquilting. 

It can literally mean anything you want it to mean - quilting with no particular plan; using scraps or randomly chosen fabrics; playing with composition or picking a theme to try to work around.

It has also inspired me to try something a bit out of the box - a colour palette that I don't usually use (well, slightly out of my range but not all that far if I'm honest!). I pulled out scraps and leftovers from other projects, sewed them up at random and put them together.  It's not quite finished yet, as I'm now concentrating on using it for a machine quilting pattern sampler, but you can see a few sneak peeks here...

I started by using leftovers from two or three of my recent projects and cutting them into strips and connecting them.  Using the 'Trip Around The World' technique I put the strips onto the central flowery fabric. It has turned into something that looks a lot more complicated than it really is. 


 Once it was all together in one piece, I was a bit underwhelmed with the colour mix, so I decided to add a bit of orange and yellow into the mix before I put it together and started quilting.








Now I'm experimenting with the filler patterns, using freehand machine quilting, so I don't have a finished article just yet, but I will let you all have a look once I'm done.

Here are a few images of quilts that came out of this hashtag and were the ones to inspire me to do my own thing...


I just LOVE the bright plain colours of this one, and the large blocks that are unapolagetically uneven and in your face.  It just seems so happy!

A post shared by Leanne (@shecanquilt) on

Mr_happy_accidents is one of my favourite instaquilters as he uses the medium in a very modern way, cutting, adding, quilting, framing different bits to draw your eye to different places.




 The colours on this one are a world apart from the ones I am usually drawn to, but it has a very calming feel to it, with the muted colours emerging from the black and white as if they are shy.


A post shared by Amanda (@mandyandydesigns) on

So as you can see, the idea behind this word #improvquilting can be interpreted in so many different ways that it is almost a quilting world in itself.  There are no patterns here, only your imagination, random picks, following a thread to see where it takes you.  This is what I love the most about quilting.  There is a tradition to it that cannot be denied, but there is also a bright new take to it that blends almost seamlessly with it but can be a breath of freash air for anyone tiring of traditional blocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment